Monday 28 May 2012

The most AMAZEBALLZ cookies!


A few weeks ago, while out thrifting, I came across a book that I’d wanted to read for a while. Funny enough, I could never remember the title, all I knew was it had something to do with recipes, and a biography; when I saw it at Value Village I recognized it immediately as the book Id been searching for well over a year.

The book is called "Baking as Biography" by: Diane Tye. She’s a resident of Newfoundland, but not a native. She’s originally from the Maritimes. And no, Newfoundland is NOT a Maritime province, just so you know :). The book is the story of the author’s mother through her baking recipes; it’s quite good, especially because it includes her mother’s signature recipes.

I'm a huge fan of baking, so of course I had to try some of these out. I started with the chocolate chip cookies. According to the author, her mother obtained the recipe from a food package, and apparently it is very close to Nestle tollhouse chocolate chip cookie recipe. Who cares, THEY ARE AMAZEBALLZ! Seriously, they are sooo good. This is my third time making them in the month of May. I doubled the batch the second and third time, because I find that I tend to make cookies a bit larger than recipes call for, so if it says "makes 36" I tend to end up with 24, etc. A double batch of this recipe yields me about 4 dozen cookies, give or take (Although I learned during the second batch that I am capable of eating practically the entire lot of cookies, this time I'll be giving some away).



Here’s the recipe so you can all try ‘em for yourself! (Seriously, you should, you WILL NOT be disappointed!)

(Amazeballz) Chocolate Chip Cookies (single batch)

Ingredients:

1/2 cup shortening (I've used butter, turned out just as good)

3/4 cup brown sugar

1 egg

1tsp vanilla

(Cream shortening & sugar, add egg & vanilla)

Add:

1 cup sifted flour

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp baking soda

Add:

1/2 to 3/4 cup chocolate chips (I used semi-sweet)

Drop by spoonfuls on cookie sheet

Bake @ 375 degrees F for 10 to 15 min.

(By: Diane Tye, from Baking as Biography)

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. This is the recipe my Grandma uses. For Christmas, she wrote out all of her grandchildren's favorite recipes and put them in 14 different binders for each of us. My kids and I have used our binder so often, it is already dirty with baking splatters. Thank goodness for page protectors! I totally agree: these cookies are amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...